Our Commitment to Safeguarding
Newham College strongly believes that it is always unacceptable for a learner to experience abuse of any kind and takes its responsibility to safeguard the welfare and wellbeing of all learners seriously. It will do so through commitment to safe practices, the inclusive and supportive environment within the College that recognises respect, openness and honesty and the promotion of health and development.
This statement applies to all staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, students and anyone working on behalf of the College or visiting the College premises.
The College’s safeguarding policy is designed to provide a basic safeguarding procedure and should be followed.
A Safeguarding Newsletter is released termly to provide information and important updates for all staff.
Newham College recognises that:
- The welfare of all its learners is paramount
- All learners, regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religious belief have the right to equal protection from all types of harm and abuse
- Working in partnership with learners and other agencies is essential in providing a safe learning environment
- All staff must be trained in Safeguarding
We will seek to safeguard all learners by:
- Valuing and respecting them as individuals, providing them with opportunities to share their concerns and listening to them
- Adopting safeguarding practices through procedures that reflect current legislation and guidelines and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
- Recruiting staff safely
- Sharing information about concerns with agencies who need it, and involving learners and their parents/carers appropriately
- Ensuring learners know who the Designated Safeguarding Officers are and their contact details.
The College has identified a number of posts which are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service. These posts are detailed in our Safeguarding in Employment Policy.