Higher National Certificate in Engineering – Manufacturing (Subject to Validation) - September 2024
The purpose of the programme is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals who can meet the demands of employers in the rapidly evolving engineering sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications also aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
The overall aims of the programme are to:
- Provide a thorough grounding in engineering principles at Level 4, which could lead the student to the progression pathway at Level 5 relating to individual professions within the engineering sector.
- Equip individuals with the essential qualities of an engineer, including integrity, regard for cost and sustainability, as they apply to a range of roles and responsibilities within the sector.
- Enable progression to a higher-level study such as a university degree by supporting the development of academic study skills and the selection of appropriate units for study at Level 5.
- Enable progression to further professional qualifications in specific engineering disciplines by mapping the units studied to the requirements of the Professional Bodies applicable to that discipline.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed via:
- Written assignments including essays, projects, and reports Demonstrating practical and professional skills
- Demonstrating practical skills
- Completion of portfolio of evidence including observation of practical skills
- Formal examinations/assessments and online assessments as required
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Mathematics
- Managing a Professional Engineering Project
- Mechanical Principles
- Production Engineering for Manufacture
- Quality and Process improvement
- Programming for Engineers
Book your place and attend our next Open Event
Explore diverse programs, cutting-edge facilities, and interact with faculty, staff, and students. Whether you're a young person, adult learner, or interested in higher education, join us for an engaging and informative experience. Don't miss out – mark your calendar!Open Events at Newham College
- 5 GCSE qualifications at grade A*-C or 9-4 (to include, science, Maths and English)
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma with MP grade or a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma with MPP grade in an Engineering bias.
- The usual entry requirements for this course are a minimum of 96 UCAS points obtained from level 3 qualifications.
English language requirements
- Students who are non-native English speakers or who have not studied the final two years of school in English but can demonstrate capability in English to the following:
- Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B2.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic 51.
- IELTS 5.5; reading and writing must be at 5.5
- Or equivalent
Mature students who have extensive work experience (paid and/or unpaid) and/or achievement of a range of professional qualifications in their work sector are welcome to apply. You will be required to attend an informal interview which may include completing an assessment based on your prior qualifications.