This qualification is designed to allow learners to develop the essential digital skills they need for life and introduce learners to skills for work.
The course will cover the following skills areas:
- Using devices and handling information: A basic understanding of hardware, software, operating systems and commonly used applications. Students will develop fundamental digital skills by learning how to manage and store information and identify and solve simple technical issues.
- Creating and editing: Students will first learn to create and edit documents before moving on to creating and editing other types of digital media, such as images, audio files and videos.
- Communicating: An understanding of electronic communications, such as email and video calls. Students will gain awareness and be able to use digital communication for a range of contexts and audiences.
- Transacting: Students will learn to complete and submit an online form, comply with digital verification checks, and purchase an item or service online.
- Being safe and responsible online: Students will learn about being responsible online, understanding the importance of digital wellbeing. This will involve privacy and data protection, conducting best practice online behaviour, backing up data, and understanding the psychological health risks of online activity.
Qualifications on completion
- Essential Digital Skills (Entry 3)
There are no formal entry requirements but you will need to complete an initial assessment to assign you to the correct course based on your prior qualifications.
After successfully completing this qualification, students may wish to progress to our Level 1 Essential Digital Skills qualification to develop their understanding and skills further. You will also be able to use your new digital skills in everyday life and increase your employment opportunities.
Fees and funding
If you are aged 19+, how much you pay for your course and any additional costs will depend on a number of factors. Learn more about course fees and finances.
We have a range of financial support options available to help you while you’re studying. Find out what support you may be eligible for.