Employability and Internships
Here is what we offer:
The NHEC Employability Award
Since 2015 NHEC has been offering its undergraduates the opportunity to gain the NHEC Employability award. The purpose of the award is to improve vital employability skills and prepare students for the competitive world of graduate recruitment. The award is achieved when students complete a number of employability related tasks, some with extremely useful employer feedback.
All students have the opportunity to attend 8 timetabled employability workshops in level 5 and 6. During these workshops we look at CVs, application forms, how to use LinkedIn, interview preparation and much more. Employers are involved throughout giving students valuable feedback. To achieve the award students are required to attend workshops and complete number of tasks while they are still studying which include taking part in a telephone interview with an employer and participating in an employer led group task, again with feedback. Students that have completed the award have found the experience invaluable and have gone on to gain meaningful employment soon after graduation.
In addition to the Employability Award workshops we also offer:
Information and Advice Services
- One-to-one career planning to help determine your career direction and the strategy to get there
- CV checks and detailed feedback through online screencasts which students can watch in their own time
- Personal statement and cover letter development
- Assistance with application forms
Work Experience and Internships
- Help with finding placement opportunities for all Counselling students to fulfil course BACP requirements
- Advice to find opportunities within companies, charities, and organisations
- Links to recruitment services to support searches for internships
We arrange for Mentors from leading employers to work with our students one-on-one to provide insight into the world of work and guidance to boost confidence and perhaps open up opportunities. Recently Barclays Bank have provided these mentors. We encourage all students to find a mentor and actively promote the benefits of this.
Through these programmes the NHEC employability and internship service always strives to be a partner to their students in their endeavour to seek meaningful employment through a growing range of services.