English and Maths Support
Newham College provides a supportive and inclusive environment which recognises difference and promotes achievement and progression for all. The English and Maths Support team seeks to remove barriers to learning and plays an integral role in supporting students through their desired progression routes.
You can have regular help with English and maths from one of our support tutors in both East Ham and Stratford campuses. With you, we will arrange a suitable session in your timetable where support will be most useful. We will work on a targeted programme to help get you back on track and you will have access to drop-in sessions for help with your coursework or to answer queries.
You can refer yourself for this support or you can be referred by your course tutor at any time during your course, so if you start to show signs of struggling with coursework, English/maths support may be able to help you achieve your full potential.
How can we help you improve your English and maths skills?
We can help you with many aspects of your course. Here are some examples:
- Spelling, punctuation and grammar - to improve the readability of your written work.
- Vocabulary, both subject-specific and general - to improve communication skills and your ability to understand coursework.
- Reading and comprehension - we will help you understand what is required by your assignment brief.
- Skills required for writing reports, notes, summaries, essays - so that you can express yourself clearly and concisely in writing, using the appropriate format.
- Confidence with maths - to improve your maths skills so that you can work out maths problems independently.
How do you contact us?
Victoria Heaton – 020 8257 4375
English, Maths & ILT Lab
East Ham campus
High Street South
Stephen Roberts – 020 8257 4369