There is still time to apply for courses beginning this September. Visit either East Ham or Stratford to secure your place. Learn more.
Close search

What are you looking for?

Close video
Take your future to the next level with T Levels – a new qualification launching in September.

T Levels are a new, two-year qualification for 16-19 year olds, aimed at combining real-world practical work experience with classroom studies that will give young people the head start towards a future career. You will gain UCAS tariff points and could progress to university, a higher apprenticeship or a highly-skilled career.

Learn more about what a T Level can offer you.

What are T Levels?

T Levels are brand new, two-year qualifications for 16-19 year olds that will follow GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A Levels. They combine classroom studies with a mandatory 45-day industry work placement which is directly relevant to your course, providing practical experience with an employer so you learn what a real career is like while you study.

T Levels have been developed as a clear alternative to A Levels and apprenticeships, and provides a clear pathway to skilled employment, higher education, or higher or degree-level apprenticeships.

Who are T Levels for?

T Levels are the right qualification for you if you know what job you want to do and you feel you are ready for the world of work. T Levels are an intensive course with a substantial work placement to develop the skills employers are looking for.

Why have T Levels been developed?

T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares students for work, further training or study.

How are T Levels taught?

T Levels will consist of the following compulsory elements:

  • An approved technical qualification including core theory and specialist skills and knowledge specific to the student’s chosen occupation or career path.
  • An industry placement with an employer of at least 45 days, which will provide the knowledge and experience to progress to skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship.
  • English and Maths will be built into the classroom-based element of the T Level. If a minimum standard of Level 2 was not achieved prior to starting the T Level, students will need to have achieved this by the end of the programme.

Around 20% of the time will be spent on the industry placement with the other 80% of the time in classroom study. Not only will students have a qualification recognised by employers or a higher apprenticeship but it can also be a gateway to further study at university.

Students who complete their T Level will receive an overall grade of pass, merit, distinction or distinction*. A nationally recognised certificate will show their overall grade and a breakdown of what they have achieved.

For students who want to progress to higher education, UCAS tariff points – a T Level Distinction* is worth the same as 3 A-levels at A* – will also be allocated to the overall T Level grade.

To be accepted onto a T Level course, students will require a minimum of 5 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades 9-4 (A*-C). There may be additional requirements for your preferred course, details of which you will find on the relevant course page.

How long is the industry placement?

All T Level programmes include a mandatory 45-day (315 hours) industry placement directly relevant to your course, where you will put your learning into practice and develop technical skills through hands-on experience. The longer duration of these placements means that you will be able to really master the essentials, and employers can mould and foster your technical abilities, so you are job ready, and be better placed to make decisions on the career pathway you pursue.

Newham College has built excellent relationships with leading London employers where the students will gain valuable experience in their industry placement.

When can I apply?

Applications are open now! Apply today!

How can employers get involved?

T Level industry placements through Newham College are a great way of recruiting young people cost effectively. What’s more, you’ll get the opportunity to find potential employees without advertising. Find out more about industry placements.

T Levels for Employers

Choose your T Level

Life after GCSEs just got more interesting with T Levels! Launching in September 2021, you can study a high-quality T Level in Digital Business Services, Health or Healthcare Science.

Not quite ready to take a T Level yet? We also offer one-year Transitional programmes in Digital, and Health and Healthcare Science to equip you with the practical skills, qualifications, and employability development you need to progress to a T Level.

Find your course