English is not the first language of 80% of Newham College learners and to meet the needs of these students, Newham College has established a Centre of Excellence in Vocational English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) to provide routes into vocational study and sustainable employment.
The ESOL Centre of Excellence works closely with a range of sectors, including health, construction, early years & child care, fashion & tailoring and catering, to provide learners of all abilities with the opportunity to progress, not only on to entry level, but also higher level and technical skilled work.
The Centre’s knowledge of many industry sectors gives those who have limited English language skills, but higher level qualifications from outside the UK, the opportunity to continue their chosen career in this country.
What we offer
- Practical English courses from Entry Level 3 to Level 2 that focus on improving understanding and the use of industry or sector specific vocabulary.
- General ESOL courses for learners with a low level of English from Entry Level 3 to Level 2. The aim is to help learners use English in a range of everyday workplace and social situations.
- Language skills in all courses; including speaking, listening, reading and writing, and language systems; vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation. Learners receive a rounded and thorough grounding in English language.
- Every applicant’s language skills are assessed to ensure they are placed on the most suitable course for their ability and individual needs, ensuring learners unleash their full potential.
- High quality teaching, support and individual attention to ensure that learners understand their strengths, development needs and targets, with a focus on building on their existing skills and qualifications to help them succeed in the UK workplace environment.
- Links with employers offering a range of career routes into different sectors. Regular college open days and career advisors provide further information, support and guidance.