Our Awards and Accreditations
College Successes & Awards
OFSTED inspection 2016 – Good
The College was awarded Good by Ofsted in its last inspection. The inspectors found that the College has an aspirational shared culture whereby the large majority of learners achieve well and make good progress. The College was praised for its offer of work experience for all 16-18 year olds and its safeguarding procedures that keep learners safe. Learners learn from and contribute to the very diverse cultural experiences and values they experience at the College.
Investors in People - GOLD
The College has held the Investors in People accreditation since 1997. It first achieved the Gold status in 2009 and has retained it ever since. The College scored 192 out of 196 in its 2015 assessment and the assessor felt that the College had changed considerably in the 3 years since his last visit in a very positive way.
Key Strengths identified during the Assessment
- A restructured and re-aligned principalship and ‘middle management’ team with a clear focus on future growth and development plans
- Getting ‘the right people in the right roles’ and creating a structure that meets the current and future needs of the sector, the geographical region and the make-up of the local community Newham College serves to support capacity needs for the future
- Positive changes in the flow of communication and the sharing of information in a much more transparent and engaging format, including staff conferences, welcome-back briefings and awards ceremonies
- Increased senior management visibility with ‘Walk & Talk management styles’ and numerous forums and opportunities for group and one-to-one interactions
- Further, ongoing development of the performance appraisal process to ensure that people’s needs are captured and then aligned with a developing ‘competency matrix’ to match the evolving leadership and management structure and styles and to link with the College key development objectives
- Development, formalisation and implementation of new processes with clear links to values, reward, recognition, personal development and career progression, e.g. the employee of the month awards
Investors in Diversity Accreditation
Investors in Diversity is a national accreditation which looks at equality, diversity and inclusion within the workplace. The College successfully achieved the Level 2 reaccreditation in June 2016.
Quote from Bruce Waller, IiD Assessor:
“The college has done a fantastic job of addressing the recommendations from the previous review and this has resulted in a great positive shift in the survey results. All involved should be congratulated for this achievement. As the college’s advisor I am now confident that the college is ready to move on to Leaders in Diversity.”
Investors in Diversity National Awards
The Investors in Diversity national awards were held in November 2016 and the College won the London FE Provider of the Year. Martin Cumella was awarded FE Governor of the Year and Pat Edwards won CEO of the Year. Four employees were nominated by the College for FE Employee of the Year and the Investor in Diversity Assessor nominated one employee for the FE Lead of the Year.
Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017
The College was ranked number 71 in the Stonewall Workplace Index 2017. The Index scrutinises a number of practises including policies, engagement, procurement and work in the community. The College was one of the highest scoring in the Stonewall Top 100 Equality Index 2017 in the policy section.
Matrix - Advice and Guidance
The College has been Matrix accredited since 2009. The Matrix Standard is a unique quality standard for organisations to assess and measure their advice and support services, which ultimately supports individuals in their choice of career, learning, work and life goals.
Higher Education Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) Review
The College was reviewed in October 2015 to ensure that its academic standards and quality meet UK expectations.
The QAA review team formed the following judgements about the higher education provision at Newham College London:
- The maintenance of the academic standards of awards offered on behalf of degree-awarding bodies and/or other awarding organisations meets UK expectations.
- The quality of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
- The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
The QAA review team identified the following features of good practice at Newham College London:
- The comprehensive and responsive support for student feedback.
- The strong commitment to supporting academic staff development to enrich the student learning experience.
- The detailed assessment processes and their systematic use by teaching staff and students.