Members of the corporation
The Corporation comprises 18 members, one of whom is a member of staff (elected by the staff) and two who are student members (elected by Student Representatives). The Principal and Chief Executive is also a governor.
The external members (those other than the Principal and staff and student members) are drawn from a wide variety of community, business and professional interests.
Member of the Finance & Resources Committee
- An Executive / non-exec. board-level membership and chair experience covering the media, local government and the education sectors.
- Bringing strong links to the community in Newham as Chair of Governors at Kingsford Community School and the team he led at EngineeringUK has already supported the College to deliver science and engineering careers events as part of the Big Bang Fair programme.
- A chartered engineer, who spent the early part of his career at ERA Technology researching new techniques for humanitarian mine clearance and later led the professional operations of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), Europe’s largest professional body for the science, engineering and technology community.
- Membership of the Council for the Parliamentary and Scientific all-party group in Parliament and as Pro-Chancellor at the University of Essex.
- Over 10 years in the FE sector, prior to which he was a Corporate Finance partner at Deloitte LLP
- Treasurer, Youth United Foundation since 2013
- Former senior post holder in three London FE Colleges, 2010-2017
- Former Trustee, Howard of Effingham School, 2012-2016
Member of Audit & Risk Committee, Finance & Resources Committee and Student Consultative Forum
- Trustee, Learning Revolution Trust
- Chair, Newham Chamber of Commerce
- Operations Consultant of a large franchise restaurant
Chair of Curriculum & Quality Committee & HE Oversight Board; Member of Finance & Resources Committee
- Currently enjoying retirement
- Principal of Bexley College, June 2010 – August 2016
- An entrepreneur, who built his own company, spanning 30 years and survived the banking crisis recession
- Former National Sales Manager
- Developed a ‘earn while you learn’ scheme for Licensed Taxi Drivers
- Former Director of Women’s Football for Leyton Orient FC and spent 23 years coaching and mentoring young people in football
- Gained a community hero award for peace and conflict resolution in 2022 delivering aid to Ukraine
East London Enterprise Advisor encouraging and advising young people of the opportunities in East
Member of Finance & Resources Committee
- A senior-level HR professional with over 20 years’ experience in all aspects of Human Resources and led HR functions in two organizations.
- Considerable working experience within the private and public sectors, including, FM, (BPO) outsourcing, social care, real estate, retail, local government and HR consultancy.
- Extensive experience of organisational review and cultural change, as part of M&As, TUPE.
- Leadership, coaching, and management of diverse staffing groups.
- Good working knowledge of employee relations and strong negotiating skills, working with trade union reps/staff forums (unison, UNITE and GMB).
- Implemented reward strategies based on job evaluation, market testing, and extensive experience in pay negotiations.
Member of Curriculum & Quality Committee
- An accomplished academic leader and manager with a proven record of developing, delivering and enhancing higher education programmes across diverse subject areas, through the application of strategic planning, stakeholder management and attention to detail.
- More than 20-years’ experience of leading the development, management, teaching and support for HE programs across design, media, architecture, and pedagogy; combined with business skills developed in working with awarding organisations and in professional practice.
Chair of Finance & Resources Committee
- Chartered Accountant
- Director of Finance and Operations at Impetus – The Private Equity Foundation
Member of Finance & Resources Committee and Curriculum & Quality Committee
- Career started as an English language teacher at an FE college in China in the early 1990s
- A senior education advisor with over twenty years’ experience in digital learning
- Currently a PhD student in Technology Enhanced Learning at Lancaster University
- Spent 15 years working for education companies and institutions throughout Asia and the Middle East, developing new curricula and setting up new programmes
- Worked for EF Education First as the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Working closely with multinationals, such as Lego, KPMG and GSK, Ministries of Education, including the Maldives, the UAE and Oman, and non-profit organisations such as the International Olympic Committee and UNIDO in Iraq.
Member of Curriculum & Quality Committee
- Currently employed with one of the top four in the financial sector
- 20+ years’ experience in the Education & Skills sector
- Skill set in stakeholder engagement, apprenticeships, curriculum design and delivery, funding and quality
- Engineering background
Member of Audit & Risk Committee
- Qualified and experienced marketing professional with experience in commercial, not for profit and major multinational organisations
- Former Director of Education and Talent with London & Partners, which was the Mayor of London’s Trade, Investment and Promotion Agency
- Actively interested in social and education policy issues
- MA Hons in Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Currently Director of People at Newham Hospital
- Has held several senior HR organisational development roles spanning a 17 year career in the healthcare sector
- Has a particular interest in community engagement and has worked across London Boroughs to reduce unemployment, increase vocational experience and tackle health inequities
- Trustee of Redeemed Camp charity and founder of ‘Save the King’, a charity that supports the homeless, imprisoned and sick
- Staff Governor
Governor for Safeguarding; Chair of Audit & Risk Committee
- A hugely experienced Director of DPR Consulting Services Limited, delivering improvement and training services across the public and private sector
- An author and a senior leader with a successful track record of transformation and performance improvement
- Improvement partner in a range of local authorities, having coached leaders at all levels on achieving good leadership behaviours
- A mentor to CEOs, Directors, Assistant Directors, Heads of Service and Team Managers
- A coach for some of the DFE national innovation projects and now an assessor with the NAAS Social Work Accreditation scheme
- Advisor to a local teaching partnership
- Currently a lawyer and Partner at DLA Piper
- A construction specialist with over 25 years’ experience advising on major infrastructure projects in the UK and internationally, Advising on all stages of the project lifecycle – to operation & maintenance services
- In addition to adapting UK and international standard construction forms (FIDIC, NEC, IChemE and JCT)
- Sarah has developed bespoke models including construction & erection, design and build (EPC/turnkey), E&P (Engineer & Procure), EPCM (Engineer, Procurement & Construction Management) and long-term Operation and Maintenance services contracts as well as DBFO/BOOT/BOT funded models and frameworks and alliance agreements for delivering a programme of capital works/multiple projects
- Grant Wilson
- Suhud Ayodeji
Member of Audit & Risk Committee
- Qualified (Degree, Masters and Doctorate) values-led education and charity transformation leader.
- 10 years’ experience in HE and experience in primary and secondary education
- 15 years’ senior experience in education
- Current portfolio includes finance, estates, HR, IT, catering and health and safety
- Significant governance experience including leading on a corporate governance review that led to reshaping a Board and its sub-committees
- Trustee of two charities and Chair of the Finance, Fundraising & Risk Committee