Navigate the maze of course levels and entry requirements with ease using this comprehensive guide!
Finding the perfect level for your educational journey is a crucial step. Newham College provides an extensive array of courses at different levels, catering to those aspiring to reach higher education or secure employment.
Selecting the right course is paramount, and your choice will be influenced by factors such as previous grades, qualifications, individual circumstances, and career aspirations. Fear not – our well-established progression pathways ensure that you can climb to your desired level, regardless of your starting point.
Our general entry requirements for each level are listed below. Courses may have additional entry requirements which you will also need to meet and where applicable, these requirements will be found on individual course pages.
This level is for students who need to develop basic skills in preparation for a Level 1 course. This level is suitable for students who need:
- Additional learning support
- Basic skills (Maths, English, ICT)
- Help with English if it is not your first language
There are no formal entry requirements.
- Entry Level vocational qualifications
Level 1 course
Level 1 provides a foundation of skills to enable progression onto further study.
- 4 GCSEs grade 3-2 and Entry Level 3 in English or Maths
- You can take an assessment to determine your English and Maths level
- Foundation Level 1 vocational qualification(s)
Level 2 course
Level 2 develops any existing academic skills and knowledge in preparation for further study or professional training. This level is suitable for learners who need skills and knowledge for higher level study or employment.
- At least 5 GCSEs grade 3 or above, or a relevant Level 1 qualification
- Level 1 in English and Maths or GCSE grade 9-3 in English and Maths
- Level 2 vocational qualifications
- Intermediate apprenticeship
- Level 3 course – vocational or A-levels
- Advanced apprenticeship
This level is suitable for students with an eye on higher education or advanced entry level employment.
- At least 5 GCSE grades 9-4 or a relevant Level 2 qualification
- Level 2 in English and Maths or GCSE 9-4 in English and Maths
- Level 3 vocational qualifications at Newham College or London City Institiute of Technology
- Access to Higher Education
- T Levels
- Advanced apprenticeship at Newham College or London City Institiute of Technology
- Undergraduate degree
- Level 4+ course – HNC/HND
- Higher apprenticeship
These are university degree level courses which will challenge your knowledge and thinking skills, preparing you for graduate level employment. The Higher National Certificate (HNC) is a vocational qualification, equivalent to the first year of a degree. HND (Higher National Diploma) is equivalent to the second year of a degree.
- One or more A-levels in related subjects
- A relevant Level 3 vocational qualification
- Access to Higher Education course
- A relevant advanced apprenticeship
- BTEC Level 4 HNC
- Level 5 HND
- Professional courses
- Undergraduate degree
- Degree apprenticeship